Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Glutton for Punishment

I am not delusional enough to believe people visit our blog to look at KB and myself. Let's face it, it is all about our cute kids, so I leave it them to be the face of our family. Also, if I do venture into talking directly about myself I generally try to avoid talking about my weight or appearance, because unless someone is really really funny, insecure or overly confident rants about one's appearances are usually really annoying more than anything. I do not think people consider me funny, so this post might fall into the category of lame. Sorry. This post is about my hair.

I have lived overseas for 3 1/2 years and had my hair cut in this country 5 times. All 5 times I have regretted it and vowed to never cut my hair in this country again. Alas, I just cannot seem to help myself. I am apparently too optimistic and continue to give them another shot at cutting my hair and it always turns out wrong. The most recent mistake was yesterday.

My hair has gotten long recently, like about halfway down my back. KB likes it because he has a thing for long hair, however he could see pass the longness of my hair to the fact that it was stringy and looking sparse. For the last three months my hair has been falling out like crazy. I expected this to happen since I lost hair like this after I gave birth to AB. I also expected I would need to cut it and planned accordingly. During our last visit to the capital I was planned to visit Tony and Guy, but our schedule did not allow it. So when I sat at our dining room table day after day starring at my stringy hair in the mirror during language class I decided I could not wait three months until we went back to the capital. It had to be cut immediately.

My language tutor set up an appointment at her salon and went with me. I told the guy I wanted my hair to be cut just below my collar bone and did not want any layers shorter than my chin. I said I did not want my hair thinned out since it was already very thin and under no circumstances did I want bangs. Tisk. Tisk. Tisk. Where did I go wrong? I know where I went wrong. I went against past Leslie's advice. FUTURE LESLIE, DON'T DO IT!!! The sad thing is, I know future Leslie won't listen. She will get her hair cut in East Asia again.

Basically, my hair was cut to just below my collar bone and feathered up to my chin. Yes, he had the audacity to feather my baby fine hair up to my chin. Ironically it is the exact same haircut I have had 2 other times. Both also disasters. The only difference is that this time I was thankfully not given bangs...well actually he did give me bangs, but they are long. He also curled my feathered hair under. It created a 2 layer triangle shape. It was bad and he was confused when I asked him to straighten it out. He said it was more beautiful curled and left it like that.

I have come to the conclusion that this haircut must be some sort of standard haircut. I cannot explain why three different men in 2 different cities would give me the same haircut (with different instructions and photos) each time. Tomorrow I am going to go back and have him cut off the feathered hair. My collar bone length hair will become chin length hair. I knew this was the inevitable outcome, but I just could not seem to help myself...and next year when my hair gets ridiculously long and stringy I will probably do it again.

1 comment:

Amanda T said...

I feel the same way every time I get my hair cut here! :( It always ends up completely different than what I wanted and usually a really bad cut for my face and hair type. We have a Toni and Guy here and I'm planning to try it for the next cut.