Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Too Cute!

Whenever I learn how to say a new phrase I usually try to practice it on my housekeeper. Today I told her that we plan to have another baby next year. I realize to those of you who have never learned a second language (which was me up until 2 years ago) this does not sound very difficult, but it involved talking about something we plan to do in the future. I am just now getting to the point of learning to talk about things that happened to me in the past or things we plan to do. It really is a big step in communication!

Anyways, when I told her we plan to have another baby next year, she cocked her head and said, "what will you do with AB?" She asked, "are you going to keep her?" I just looked at her and said, "of course." Later she asked if we were going to send her back to the US to live with her grandparents so that we could take care of the baby. I told her this is not our custom in the West; I did not know anyone in the US who sent their kids to live with the grandparents when they had more than one child. She thought it was incredible that people take care of more than one child at a time.

I cannot be too hard on her though. Some genius in the US asked one of our friends what she planned to do with her daughter when she and her husband moved overseas. She just looked at them and said, "we are going to take her with us." Duh.





No comments: