Monday, November 23, 2009

My Project

Growing-up my mom made the majority of my clothes. She did a fantastic job, and we were always well dressed. Over the years she attempted to teach me to sew. I am not the best seamstress, but as long as you do not look at the underside of the garment or the stitching around the zipper, what I make usually looks passable. When I was overseas one summer during my college years, I made friends with a professional seamstress. Her speciality was copying anything from photos. She was amazing, and I watched her as much as I could. Although my copying skills are not the greatest, what I made in the past was still functional, and I really enjoyed the challenge.

Ok to my point, did you know that those cute little girl dresses are expensive? Wow they are; who knew? They are so little; it just does not seem they would cost so much. I guess they do not charge by the amount of fabric, but maybe by the number of seams? Anyways, what hurts even more is that I look at them and see how I could make a very nice looking copy in hours, but alas, I do not have a sewing machine here. I know this may seem petty, but I have felt inadequate as a mother because I cannot not make my child's clothes. So, I decided I wanted to learn how to knit or crochet - whichever I could figure out first.

It turns out that my language tutor is excellent at knitting, but I have learned that I am not. I get too frantic or something, and I end up pulling out one of those darn knitting needles to far. In the end the yarn looks messy from all the times I had needed to pull apart the stitches and inevitably whatever I am making will have some holes. Thank goodness for the less complicated crocheting - at least my level of crocheting is less complicated. Apparently it was the multiple knitting needles that got me, but the one crochet hook is just what I need. Below is my first "creation." It is totally imperfect. I have since pulled this hat apart in hopes of making a better one. I learned how to crochet from videos on YouTube. I hope to graduate to more complex things one day, but for now I am pretty proud of this little imperfect hat.

I am glad that I have a little girl. I have no idea what I would make for a boy since most men do not wear crochet. I guess I will have to work on figuring out knitting if I ever have one. AB feels the same way about this hat that she feels about anything that is put on her head - she wants of off!

In this first picture I am holding her hands not to help her stand, but to keep her from pulling off her hat.
Here I have let go of her hand, and it went straight to the flower which acts like a handle...perfect for pulling off a hat.
There goes the hat.
Either she is more appreciative of the hat when she is outside, or she cannot move her arms because of how thick and heavy her down coat is. I would like to believe it is the first, but in reality I believe it is the latter.
Happy baby in her flower hat.

No comments: