Saturday, October 10, 2009

Tailor/Fabric Shop

Those of you who knew me well enough know that I like to sew. I like to go to fabric shops, pick out a really ugly piece of fabric and make an awesome dress or skirt out of it. Some of my favorite skirts I made were made out of fabric that I found in the dollar pile.

However I am sad to say that I do not have a sewing machine here. I miss it. So, when I need to get something made or fixed I go to the local tailor/fabric shop. The day this photo was taken KB, AB and I went to the tailor to get KB's new pants hemmed, a nursing wrap copied for a friend, and some pants copied for me. The fabric selection is incredibly limited - like 1/30 of what is at Hancock Fabric (my favorite), but usually what we find will do.

It is a bit chaotic there. They ask me many questions with technical words I do not know, and as soon as I enter I pretty much have to hand AB over to them. They then take her in the room where all the women sew so everyone can look at her. I do not let them do this at restaurants because they try to feed her in the kitchen, but I figure the tailor shop is okay. I once have to physically stop a woman from trying to feed AB a cracker (which she has never eaten and I am unsure of what the cracker is made of). She then tried to push me out of the way so she could feed AB the cracker. I was like, "who's kid is this?" This is part of the culture, but it is without a doubt part of the culture that I dislike very much. You know the saying, "it takes a village to raise a child?" Here they have modified it to, "it takes 12 million people to raise the foreign child...because we are certain that her mother has no idea what she is doing."

No comments: