Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why I think I need a fancy new camera

I love this picture. I think it thoroughly captures the cuteness of my daughter. However, I am am so upset about this picture. It is not clear. I try my best to use natural light when I take pictures of AB. I think flashes ruin pictures, and it makes everyone's skin tone look unreal. However my point-and-shoot is not up to speed with me. It seems incapable of taking pictures of less than perfectly still objects in low light. I have tried manipulating it every way I can, and it all ends up with same one way or another - bad quality pictures.

One annoying thing is that if in a hurry it likes to focus on non-human objects, like the elephant in this picture. However, my primary complaint is that it is unable to take clear photos in low light. If I mess with the ISO it will take the picture quickly, but the picture is grainy. I can lower the level of the brightness of the picture, but that just results in a dark "unhappy" looking picture. People have suggested using the "kids and pets" setting, but I think that setting is almost useless and I essentially get the same results, bad pictures.

So, I am saving up for a new camera. KB actually told me to order a new camera for Christmas, but then he realized all we had to buy when we were in the US. He did not actually take back the offer to let me get a new camera, but when I suggested waiting a while he did not say no. If anyone has a suggestion for a basic, entry-level (i.e. not too expensive) DSLR, please pass the word on to me.

What a pity. It is such a cute picture of her.

1 comment:

Amanda T said...

I have the same problem!!! But I think you've adjusted better than me. :( I get so disappointed that some of the best smiles are lost in the blur.