Monday, January 18, 2010

Whew! What a Relief!

When we flew back to the Asia we carried with us 5, 50lb suitcases, a stroller, 3 carry-on bags, and 3 personal items. It was a lot of stuff. When the "episode" happened and it was certain that AB and I would be flying to Hong Kong, I frantically opened all of the suitcases, in front of the 6 curious immigration officials...they were especially curious about the Robert Pattinson calendar in one of the bags - gee thanks KB, and started throwing things out of one suitcase, and threw things from the other suitcases back into it. Miraculously AB and I had about 3 days of clothes each, toiletries, a stroller, a carry-on, and a baby bag with us - it is miraculous because I did not even consider what I threw into the suitcase; I just grabbed. KB then had the responsibility of getting everything else home.

Knowing that trying to sneak 4, 50lb suitcases, 2 carry-on bags, and 2 personal items onto the tiny plane that flies us to our city would be next to impossible, KB did the only thing he knew to do. He decided to mail them. He shuffled things around, so that the 2 suit cases he mailed were both 60lbs, and he shoved all of the personal items, and one of the carry-on bags into the two suit cases he flew to our city with. All in all, it only cost $20 to mail 120lbs of luggage. It is crazy cheap.

Since the day he mailed them, we have been a bit nervous. Although they have broken things before, at least everything we have previously mailed has made it to us one way or another. Other people we know have not been so lucky. Friends have told us stories of loosing half of their bag's contents in the mail, or the parcel being "lost" all together. Basically sometimes less than honest postal workers take what they want, and send the rest on. These suitcases of ours contained AB's birthday presents, her clothes for the next year, my awesome new tennis shoes, tons of lovely food from the US, and other random items that make life easier. Most of this stuff we could live without, but cataloguing it for insurance purposes was going to be a pain.

Guess what? They arrived yesterday! Going through the is like opening Christmas presents all over again. I should have left one unpacked just so I can go through the excitement again tomorrow, but I just could not restrain myself. I have already used my new Pyrex 4 cup measuring cup, and it was wonderful.

No comments: