Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Adventures of Our Return Trip to Asia

International travel is stressful enough without having a huge, shocking crisis spring on you during the trip...however with the smoothness of our travels in the past, we were due a major, major, MAJOR bump in the road.

First of all, we loved our trip to the US. When we arrived in America it felt like no time had passed at all. Our daughter was the primary proof to myself that almost two and a half years had in fact passed since we were last in the US. Because of our visit I finally realized how uncomfortable and awkward I feel in Asia. We do not blend in by the way we physically look, speak or act. It was so surreal to be in a place where I felt absolutely normal, and it was nice.

Although AB caught a cold almost immediately upon our arrival to the US, she adjusted beautifully to the time change. The biggest hurdle to her contentment was her two new teeth that started coming in the day we flew to Lubbock to see my grandmother, and the 6 injections she received on Monday. I would like to say though, I was as pleased as could be that I was not the person giving the injections - yea for awesome nurses! On Friday morning we boarded a plane bound to San Francisco then to Asia with our 5, 50lb bags, 3 carry-ons, 3 personal pieces, and a stroller. AB did not do as well on her return trans-Pacific flight, but I guess I had it coming with all of her calmness in the previous flights.

The real drama happened when we landed in our country. All ex-patriots know that 1.) You protect your passport, 2.) never let your visa expire, and 3.) ummmm...the Maclaren stroller is the greatest (I made that one up). Which of these three did I violate? None of them. So, why was AB deported on Saturday evening? Unknown to us, in June they mistakenly issued her a visa that only allows one entry into the country, and we used up that entry when we made our trip to Hong Kong in September. However they issued KB and I the correct multiple entry visa. When we were going through immigration on Saturday they told us that her visa was no good. I thought, they must be looking at an old one, but after taking us into "the room," an hour later they finally told me that we either must return to America or fly to another country immediately. It was official, AB was being formally rejected from entry into the country. I tried crying, but it did not soften them up.

KB and I decided that we would, of course, not fly back to the US. Instead two hours later AB and I boarded a plane to Hong Kong without KB. Right now we are in Hong Kong waiting for AB to be issued another visa. KB is home. The whole situation kind of stinks, but somehow it still feels okay. All in all AB and I traveled 35 hours on January 8-9th.

By the way, Saturday was AB's birthday, so when she plays that game "Two Truths and a Lie" she can say "I was deported on my first birthday" and most people will think it is a lie.

No comments: