Sunday, December 20, 2009

Recently

As one of the only foreigners in town, we try to bring a feel of the US at holiday time to our home in Asia. It is notoriously a time when foreigners get homesick, so we decorate our home, watch Christmas movies, listen to Christmas music, and bake cookies. However to share this with our friends, we host Christmas parties...lots and lots of exhausting Christmas parties. We actually enter the Christmas season with trepidation. It seemed like I froze at least 4 batches of cut sugar cookies in preparation for the parties- I freeze them so that on the day of the party I only have to bake them...4 at at time since that is all my oven will hold.

We hosted several parties, but the last party was our biggest. We grew very tired of the parties and decided to invite everyone else who we had not already been invited for one last blowout. More than 20 people crammed themselves into our tiny apartment. I made pizza, sugar cookies, finger sandwiches, chocolate cake, carrots, dip and other junk. We ate, decorated cookies, played games, and I told them the story of the first Christmas - which most of them had never heard before.

After everyone left, KB and I collapsed onto our sofa to watch a movie. I think both of us made it about 30 minutes before we crawled into bed by 8:30. I am so grateful for our daughter. She was an angel the whole time, and I think more people wanted to come to our parties to see her rather than come just for the party itself. I am also glad that we had an excuse to ask everyone to leave when the parties were over because they always ended at AB's bedtime.


No comments: