Sunday, December 6, 2009

Playing with Evan

Recently we had to get 3 new light fixtures in our apartment. When installing the original light fixtures our cheap landlord purchased such old ones that they were discontinued in 2 years. Our problem is that we could not use universal light bulbs in the cheap light fixtures, only the light bulb made by the light fixture's manufacture would fit in them. Obviously we had a problem since they were discontinued, and the even bigger problem was actually going to buy new light fixtures. Neither of us wanted to do it. It gave us a headache just thinking about it, so much in fact that we were in the dark for 3-4 months. However when we invited our Evan's parents over for dinner one evening they noticed that our kitchen, bathroom, and AB's bedroom were all in the dark. After painfully explaining (because our language and their English is not that good) the problem, they offered to take us to get the new lights.

When the men came to install the lights they did not come prepared. First, they did not bring the lights we ordered - even though they were sent here by the store we bought the lights from. They just asked us, "so where are the lights" as if we were supposed to have them. Eventually they figured out they were supposed to bring the lights with them. That was a "duh" moment for us, but apparently not for them. Then they asked us where we kept our ladder. We thought, "gee we live on the 4/5th floor of an apartment that has absolutely no storage, what you see is what you get." Lastly they did not shut off the power to the sockets before installing the lights and blew out the power in our entire apartment. These electricians where not very sharp or very safety cautious. Isn't it Electricity 101 to shut off the electricity to any open wires you are working on? Even I know that. We had to wait for our apartment manager to come back from lunch to turn the power back on. Unfortunately this was before our steam heat was on, and it was below freezing outside. It quickly became uncomfortably cold in our cement apartment. In the end though, we had 3 new name-brand lights with bulbs that can be bought at the local supermarket.

These are some pictures from when Evan and his parents came over for the installation of the lights. I have inserted my theory of their dialogue.

AB: Hey Evan look at my cell phone. Isn't it groovy?
Evan: Whatever. Look at my bottle.
AB: Yea, how old are you? I drink water from a sippy cup.

AB: Hey! What are you doing? I thought you did not even care about my cell phone!
Evan: I fooled you! Sucker! Now I have a bottle and your cell phone, and I am like twice the size of you. There is no way you are getting it back.

AB: I'll show you! This is what people get who take my cell phone!!! I might be smaller than you, but I am very quick! Take that cell phone thief! Is that bottle going to save you now?
Evan: What? How did you get to me so fast? You came at me like lighting!

AB: No mom; I was not doing anything. Cell phone? What cell phone? We were just playing, honest.
Evan: I am innocent. I am just drinking from my bottle. I never took her cell phone.

AB: Ok cell phone thief, hand over the bottle. You know what happened last time you had something I wanted.
Evan: Fine, just let me have one last sip.
AB: That's right bottle boy, it's mine now.


No comments: