Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hong Kong

We returned home from Hong Kong today. I knew we were home when I watched and listened to a man hawk a lugie into a vomit bag not once but four times during the flight. I also knew when I saw a man clean his ears out with his long fingernail and then wipe the "stuff" on the airplane blanket...I then made a mental note to not cover my daughter in airplane blankets that I do not physically remove from plastic wrapping, and lastly I knew when I caught the janitor smoking in the baby changing room of the airport. It took all my willpower to not walk back over to the ticketing counter and book a flight back to Hong Kong.

We would like to issue a very very very special thanks to our friends at Lake Arlington who are covering the cost of KB's flights to and from Hong Kong. I know people alone travel internationally with their kids all the time, but my stress level dropped 100% when I knew he was coming with me.

Once I began seeing the doctors I was told to see, I realized just why I was sent to Hong Kong. Many of the symptoms I have been experiencing are the same that women with breast cancer experience. I spent the day having tests done, and fortunately because I am currently breastfeeding some of them were a lot more clear than otherwise, like testing my milk and clear visibility of my milk ducts. Because of my young 28 years, I did not have to have a mammogram, thank goodness! Although none of us really ever thought I had breast cancer, it was nice to hear them say that I did not.

We ended up staying in Hong Kong a bit longer than planned, but it was very good that we did. On Monday we bumped into some of our old friends from Fort Worth. They are expecting a baby in November. It was a complete surprise to all of us. We hung out all day, and since we could not get a flight for the next day, we also hung out on Tuesday. They have been our friends for years, but I don't think I have ever had so much fun with them.

On Tuesday morning we accompanied them to their doctor's appointment, which happened to be at the same office that my doctor practices in. While there I realized that I did not get an additional prescription for Augmentin (for when I get my next case of Mastitis), so I asked if my doctor was in the office that day. He was, and he was glad to see me. He told me that he found some surprising things on my tests, and all the medication he had given me would not work at all. I was so relieved to hear this since the medication required me to "pump and dump" for a week. He then gave me the appropriate medication to kill some things off. Apparently what I have is not common, so he never would have thought to give it to me. We are really hoping that it will do the job.

We are home and hoping to not have to travel again for the next month. We have had to fly somewhere every month for the last 3 months, and KB has flown every month since May.

Below are some photos from our trip. I will post some more later. There are lots of things to see and do in Hong Kong. Unfortunately we cannot afford to do most of them, so Disney Land, Discovery Island, and their version of Sea World will have to wait until AB can get a part-time job.

This is a photo of us on the ferry from Hong Kong Island to another island.
Hong Kong Island during the day time.
We could not resist taking this picture.
Hong Kong Island at night.


No comments: