Wednesday, February 29, 2012

DB's First Birthday

Although DB's actual birthday was while we were in Thailand, here are the pictures from his little party we had almost 2 weeks after he turned 1. He won't know the difference and he still got to eat a cupcake on his birthday, so all in all it turned out well for him.

I wanted to make him a Curious George cake. This was quite ambitious of me since I have never decorated a cake more than to make polka-dots, which are almost foolproof, and to make a simple butterfly. I do not have the steadiest of hand, and I have never had very pretty handwriting. In the past I have asked my mom or friends to do the writing on the cakes, but this year it was either KB or me, and I figured I would have the best shot of it looking uniform. My goal was for it just to be legible and for it to be obvious it was Curious George. I received confirmation when our single guy friend said, "Hey that's Curious George." I practically beamed with relief.


I made him a little cake that he could destroy in whatever manner what he saw fit. Per usual, DB was quite suspicious of it at first...he would not touch it.

In fact, he tried to get away from it.

When all attempts to flee from his birthday cake failed, he melted down.

That's when Sami showed up. He was probably saying, "Hey man, if you are not interested in that cake, why don't you pass it over to me? Looks good."

Finally I cut him a little slice of his cake. He tasted it, and he liked it. Apparently the whole cake itself was intimidating, but just a piece was more approachable.


Finally he dug in and enjoyed eating more sugar than he has ever consumed at one sitting in his 1 year of life.


No comments: