Sunday, May 25, 2014

Birthdays

Way back in January my first and second born had their 5th and 3rd birthdays.  

When AB told me she wanted a "Tangled" cake, the "can-do" part of me accepted the challenge.  The perfectionist side of me knew I would work until I got it right, but the realistic side of calculated the hours of work and the loss of my sanity to achieve a cake I would be satisfied with.  Ultimately the realistic side won and AB got another swirls and dots cake.  Apparently I went a bit berserk-o and went a little overboard on the dots.  Eventually I just tried to embrace it and went for crazy.   



I also made a cake to take to AB's school.  Since baking is not part of most East Asian people's cooking skills, they were super impressed with my decorating.  However I was told by more than one person that it was too sweet.  This is a totally normal comment about western baking and since it was from a box, it did not bother me, and they still ate it too sweet and all.



DB also had a birthday.  He wanted a Buzz Lightyear cake.  Basically I once again processed how long it would take me to make a cake like that, and look, Luke was still waking to eat at night…I needed my sleep and I just did not want to sacrifice an entire night of sleep to ice a Buzz Lightyear cake  - because that is exactly how long it would have taken me, all night.  Maybe while in the US I should take a cake decorating course so I can learn how to do these things in less time.

Anyways, I basically wrote his name and tried to make it look "spacey."


He liked it.  I think kids like almost anything that has their name written in icing on it.  

No comments: