Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Birthdays

AB and DB both had birthdays in January.  AB's birthday was a bit odd since we left the US the evening before her birthday and landed here at 11:30pm on her birthday.  I am glad dates are not all that important to her yet, because she pretty much missed her birthday.  However the flight attendants were really nice on our flight and brought her a sundae made with first class ice cream to celebrate her birthday.  Ironically this is the second time we left the US the day before her birthday and landed late on the evening of her birthday, but thankfully this time she did not get deported to Hong Kong because of a visa issue 2 hours after we landed. 
 
Because we essentially flew past (get it...we literally flew past/through it) her birthday and DB's birthday is just 2 weeks later, we decided to wait and have them open their presents at the same time.  At this point they really do not know the difference, and I think it was fun for them. 
 
Feel free to make fun of the bag I used for DB, but if you saw the selection of gift bags available here, you too would have picked out the bear bag with the bow glued on it for your 2 year old little boy.  
 



Because of the time of the year of AB and DB's birthdays, and because all of our kid's friends live on the four corners of this city, and because to see each other we all have to haul our families to the side of the road and wait an undetermined amount of time in the freezing cold to hopefully hail a taxi to ride 30 minutes to an hour across the city, I decided to combine their birthday celebrations and further combine them to a time when everyone was going to be at our apartment anyways.  We celebrated a full month after AB's birthday.

Here is AB's cake.  As expected the very yellow butter did make my purple a little grey/brownish.  I also gave up on trying to make her a princess cake.  I have learned that dots are pretty fool-proof, and I imagine future cakes will be covered in them. 
 
DB had a cookie cake.  I made it pretty late in the evening  and was extremely grateful for the friend who gave me these little race car sugar decals.  I apparently ran out of energy and those little things saved me from putting dots all over his cake too.
 


 
Not to confuse them or anything, but I made cupcakes for them while we were in the US and celebrated their birthday's with both sides of the family.  They really made out well on the birthday celebrations this year.  



No comments: