Sunday, August 5, 2012

Morning at the Park

While my parents visited last month the weather was still nice and the heat had not yet hit, so one morning we stuffed all our bodies into a taxi and headed over to our favorite park.  It really is a beautiful park - kind of like a botanical garden, and since it is nestled into a residential area, it is usually just visited by people living nearby. 

This was our attempt at a family picture.
My dad did his best.
This is the smile AB likes to give me when I tell her to smile - it totally looks fake.

Have I ever mentioned that for several reasons the school schedule here is a little different than in the West?  They start later, end later and have quite a bit of time off for the New Year - that is not really different from the West, but what will leave an American scratching their head is the fact that no one knows the exact date schools start or finish until a few days or day before it actually happens. There is a general "understood" calendar but nothing you can rely on with absolute accuracy. The day we went to the park school was supposedly still in session. However apparently a rogue local elementary let out a day or two early. Because as we approached the play area I grew a bit apprehensive as I heard a loud roar of kids happily (and some not so happily) playing.  So much for our quite morning at the park.

I feel like this picture can in no way capture the chaos that was this play area.  There were kids everywhere.  Since we came all that way to visit the park and really our kids probably have can only remember crowded parks, we just dove right in.  I was super proud of my dad.  If all those people phased him, he did not show it.  My dad is the tall one in khaki shorts, dark hat and grey shirt. 
The lady in white shirt and jeans with light brown hair that is taking pictures is my mom, well at least the back side of her. 


You can see KB helping AB cross the bridge.

No comments: