Friday, September 5, 2008

Baby Shower

Things are done a bit differently around here, and I have certainly never heard of a baby shower in this country. There are just so many babies and not enough money that I think baby showers are not customary. I had just accepted that I would not have a baby shower. This made me sad, but I figured getting my hopes up would just disappoint me.













However, our wonderful American friends knew that a baby needs to be celebrated. So, they threw us a baby shower (a bilingual baby shower)! It was a complete surprise. It was a hot, rainy Sunday afterno
on and my friend lives on the 5th floor, so when we arrived a bit late for what I thought was a get-together I was all apologizes. Then I looked over and saw a pink and blue table with goodies on it and my local friends surrounding it, and behind the table was a sign that said "Welcome Baby Brown." I could not believe it. I was stunned. If you know me, it is not hard to pull one over my head, but I still could not believe that my friends would go through the trouble.

We had pink and blue cupcakes, finger sandwiches, and other goodies. They even filled a basket with baby lotion, diapers, a
nd toys. We played typical baby shower games, including one that has determined that our baby is a girl named Trecarya Heather Brown, has hazel eyes, blonde curly hair and will be a flight attendant scientist.













Today I am at 22 weeks. The baby kicks a lot and has its own schedule for how things are done. I visited the doctor this week and she said the baby is healthy, on schedule, and I am gaining weight as I should be (So please no one tell me I need to gain more weight. I hear it daily from every female who has had a baby or will have a baby and they are everywhere).










 






Lastly, as you can probably tell from the photos, I cut
 my hair.  All the baby books told me not to do anything drastic to my hair, that it won't make me look like I am not pregnant or feel better about myself.  I did not listen, and I thought I was the exception for the rule.  Turns out a new haircut will not make you feel less pregnant or make you feel better about yourself.  Also, the hair stylist here have a inability to cut one side of the hair at the same length as the other.  So, I have now 
gotten 3 haircuts in the past month (none of the above photos show the most recent one - it is shorter now) in efforts to correct the attempts by the previous genius who whacked at it.  I am probably going to grow it out since my longer hair was a lot less stressful to maintain then this, but I guess I needed to learn the lesson for myself.

We miss you all.  KB and L

No comments: